Seared Pi Lo Chun Ahi Sandwich with Wasabi Mayo
A hearty seared ahi tuna sandwich with the zip and zest of wasabi, coupled with the sweet, mellow flavor of Adagio Pi Lo Chun tea leaves. Perfect for a quick gourmet lunch! Prep time: 10 min. Cook time: 1 min.12 m 2
- Spice rub:
- (Makes enough to season 6-8 ahi tuna steaks)
- 5 tsp. paprika
- 3 tsp. Pi Lo Chun loose leaf tea
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Sandwich ingredients:
- 2 8-oz. sashimi-grade ahi tuna steaks
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 12 oz. package of micro greens or mixed greens
- Wasabi mayonnaise:
- 4 tbsp. store-bought mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. wasabi (many grocery stores sell wasabi in tubes. If not, try your local specialty grocer.)
- 1 tsp. Pi Lo Chun loose leaf tea
Combine all spice rub ingredients in a small food processor. Turn on until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed and the Pi Lo Chun leaves are chopped up to a finer size (about 20-30 seconds). Set aside.
Chop up an additional tsp. of Pi Lo Chun tea leaves into a finer consistency. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, wasabi, and chopped Pi Lo chun leaves. Mix well.
Pour spice rub onto a small plate and set an ahi steak on top of the rub mixture to coat the bottom of the steak. Turn the ahi steak over to coat the other side. Repeat procedure for the second steak.
Add sesame oil to a medium-size skillet and heat on medium-high heat. As soon as the oil starts to sizzle, place ahi tuna steaks in the skillet. Sear for about 30 seconds on each side. The outside should be cooked, but the inside should be pink and rare.
Spread wasabi mayonnaise on the whole wheat buns, add the seared ahi tuna steaks, and top with mixed greens.