Chocolate Hazelnut Muffins
No one would ever guess that these rich, moist, decadent muffins are gluten-free, dairy-free, and low-fat. Indulge without the guilt!30 m 12
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal mixed in 5 Tbsp water and set aside for 5 minutes
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour blend (or all-purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1/3 cup quick oats
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 2 tsp Adagio Honeybush Hazelnut tea
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup natural unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped (reserve some to add to top of muffins before baking)
- 2 Tbsp dark chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Line muffin pan with paper liners (or spray with non-stick spray).
Combine flaxseed meal and water, and set aside for 5 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, almond meal, cacao powder, tea, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
Combine applesauce, maple syrup, coconut sugar, milk, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring just until combined. Do not overmix. Fold in hazelnuts.
Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle extra hazelnuts on top.
Bake for 20-23 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and the edges appear dry.
Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
Melt chocolate chips in microwave, stirring every 15 seconds. Put melted chocolate in plastic storage bag. Clip one corner with scissors. Squeeze bag gently to drizzle chocolate onto cool muffins.
Store covered at room temperature for 3-4 days.
Muffins freeze well.