Scones Fit for an Earl
These tender scones are bursting with refreshing orange, comforting vanilla, creamy coconut, and the sophistication of Earl Grey tea. Because they are, after all, fit for an Earl!30 m 8
- Wet Indredients:
- 1.5 tsp Adagio Earl Grey Bravo tea, steeped in 1/3 cup water at 190°F x3 minutes
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 4 Tbsp canned coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose or whole wheat pastry flour
- .5 cup quick oats, blended into flour
- .5 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1.5 Tbsp Earth Balance margarine (or other brand), cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup confectionary sugar
- 1 Tbsp reserved tea
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Steep tea. Reserve 1 Tbsp for icing. While tea is still warm, add honey, coconut milk, and vanilla. Stir to mix well.
3. In a mixing bowl, add flours, baking powder, salt, and orange zest. Cut in margarine until it resembles fine crumbs.
4. Add liquid mixture to dry mixture. Stir until incorporated, adding an extra Tablespoon of all-purpose flour if needed to achieve a soft ball of dough that doesn't stick to your fingers.
5. On a lightly floured surface, gently shape the dough into a 8" square. Use a dough scraper to cut the dough into four smaller squares. Then cut each square from corner to corner to end up with 16 triangle-shaped scones.
6. Transfer scones to baking sheet lined with silicone or parchment paper.**
7. Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes, or until the tops are lightly golden.
8. Cool on the pan for a couple of minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
9. Stir tea and vanilla into confectionary sugar to make icing. Drizzle over scones.
**Tip: Scones can be frozen at this point to bake later.