Heirloom Tomato Salad With Chamomile Vinaigrette
A light summer salad that can be enjoyed as a healthy, refreshing side dish for any meal.20 m 2
- For the salad:
- 1 c. red heirloom pear tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise (grape or cherry tomatoes can be substituted)
- 1 c. yellow heirloom pear tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 c. seedless cucumber, cut into wedges
- 1/4 c. pine nuts
- 2 tbsp. shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh tarragon leaves, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- For the vinaigrette:
- 1 heaping tbsp. chamomile tea leaves
- 3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil leaves, julienned
Slice the tomatoes lengthwise and combine in a large bowl.
Cut the cucumber in wedges, removing any seeds, and combine with tomatoes.
Chop the tarragon and shallots and add to bowl.
Add pine nuts to the bowl, then set bowl aside.
To prepare the tea, boil 6-8 oz. water and pour on 1 heaping tbsp. of chamomile. Brew for 10 min., then strain.
To prepare the vinaigrette, combine the vinegar, 5 tbsp. brewed tea, garlic, and basil in a small mixing bowl. Gradually whisk in the olive oil until the entire mixture has emulsified.
Drizzle the vinaigrette over the tomato mixture. Toss gently to coat.
Add salt to taste. Enjoy!