This classic Thai soup can be served as a starter or over rice as a main course. Vegans will wish to substitute soy sauce for fish sauce and serve with tofu.45 m 2
- 14 oz. can coconut milk, regular or light.
- 1 c. hot water
- 2 tbsp. + 1 tsp. dried lemon grass tea, divided
- 6 tsp. Thai fish sauce
- 1/4 c. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. grated lime zest
- 2 tsp. light brown sugar (or Splenda)
- 14 oz. can straw mushrooms, drained
- 1" piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 tbsp. roasted red chili paste
- 12 oz. seafood, chicken, or tofu cut into bite size pieces
- fresh cilantro for optional garnish
- serve with cooked jasmine rice
Brew 1 tsp. tea in 1 c. hot water and steep 5 min. Strain.
In a large heavy pot, bring to a simmer the coconut milk, brewed lemon grass tea, dried lemon grass, lime juice, lime zest, ginger, and sugar or sugar substitute. Simmer 15 min. Add mushrooms, chili paste, and meat or tofu. Simmer for another 10 min. Serve in individual bowls with or without cooked jasmine rice.