Ground Beef Pie
The crust is what makes this meat pie so distinct.2
- 2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. onion salt
- 3/4 c. shortening, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 c. brewed Wuyi oolong tea, ice cold
- Beef pie filling:
- 1 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 c. onion, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 15-oz. can green beans, drained
- 1 tbsp. cooking sherry (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. oregano
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
Combine flour and onion salt. Add shortening; combine with a fork or pastry blender until pieces are no larger than the size of peas. Add ice-cold tea, 1 tbsp. at a time, and mix with fork. When dough just holds together, divide into 2. Roll them out to fit a 9" pie plate.
Melt butter or margarine in skillet and add ground beef, cubed potato, and onion. Cook until meat is thoroughly brown. Stir in green beans, soup, and seasonings. Heat, stirring, for 3-4 min.
Pour filling into pie plate lined with pastry. Cover with top crust. Make 3 slits in the crust. Bake for 30 min. at 400°F.