Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream
Keto/ Low carb version of Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream. This ice cream is smooth and silky with a huge matcha punch while still allowing you to stick to your low carb or Keto lifestyle. Standard recipe options noted at the end.5 h 8
- 1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder
- 1 cup low-carb whole milk (Fairlife)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup sugar substitute (erythritol, xylitol, or allulose)
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Combine matcha powder in a 2-3 quart saucepan with milk. Whisk to break apart lumps.
2. Add cream to matcha mixture. Turn on heat to medium-low; cook, stirring frequently to help matcha dissolve, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
3. Whisk sugar substitute and eggs together in a bowl. Pour ½ cup hot matcha mixture into egg mixture; mix thoroughly as you pour. Mix in another ½ cup of matcha to eggs mixture to temper the eggs. Pour egg mixture into the remaining matcha in the pan and stir well.
4. Return pan to heat. Cook and stir matcha mixture over medium-low heat until heated through, about 3 minutes, it will thicken. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla extract. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours.
5. Pour cooled matcha mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Freeze any leftovers.
Non-Keto/Low Carb version: Use regular whole milk instead of low carb milk, use granulated sugar instead of sugar substitute.